Featured post

Bio - Mary Myers


Name:
Mary Myers

Location:
Mt. Airy, Maryland, U.S.A.

Working in minis:
Since 2007

Camp Mini Ha Ha attendance:
2017, 2018, 2019

Blog: ---

Website: ---




I am a retired Occupational Therapist, wife, mother of one son, grandmother of two grandsons. I love gardening of all kinds, travel, ancient history and of course miniatures.

What other types of artistic/craft pursuits do you follow?

I have tried my hand at lots of artistic/crafts in the past, most without much satisfaction. I can sew a bit, I have done embroidery. I do enjoy making miniature baskets, quilts and rugs. I like to cook and collect recipes to use with my garden produce.

How and when did you first become interested in the art of miniatures?

My mother took my sisters and me to the Smithsonian Institute many years ago to see the miniature dollhouse display. I was in awe. I did the cardboard box thing, but did not get seriously interested until my mother-in-law got a dollhouse; she sold it when she moved before I could claim it. I saw one in a thrift shop (oh yes, I love to thrift shop and antique shop) and contacted a local miniature club. I did not realize that there were clubs and organizations devoted to this hobby. The group was wonderful; I joined two other groups as well and became the State Representative for two terms and then Regional Coordinator for two terms (these are National Association of Miniature Enthusiasts’ positions). My addiction was gradual but I am totally hooked now.

What most inspires your artistic endeavors?

Many things inspire me; a miniature treasure collected while traveling, a class I have taken, a new technique I’ve learned, the need to display my treasures rather than keep them in a box, a challenge, a club project, holidays.

What are your favorite things to make in miniature?
I suppose like most people I started making miniatures in one inch scale. I have to moved to the smaller scales as a new challenge and because they don’t take up as much room!! Recently I have been enjoying making miniature scenes in Altoid boxes and in pocket watches. I love them. Although I still make one inch miniatures.

What real-life piece, scene or building would you most love to try in miniatures?

I’ve wanted to make a pirate ship since the anniversary of the Titanic (there’s an inspiration) and this is going to happen. A second wish is on the horizon and that, hopefully, will happen as well (yes it’s a secret for now). I have a few unstarted projects in my workroom. After visiting a rock shop in the US Southwest a few years ago, I envisioned one in miniature. I have the shop structure and have been collecting interesting little rocks, fossils, shells and things; someday I’ll put it all together. That is how I work. I have an idea, get a structure, collect things and put them in the structure, when it’s full I organize it.

Do you have a favorite miniature project from Camp Min Ha Ha? A favorite project that was not part of Camp?

I’ve only been to Camp three times so I don’t have a lot to choose from, but I loved the Fairy House. I’m not very precise and this project let me play. I also lived close to Lady Bug (Sue Ann Twaite) and got acquainted with her and her imagination; and her most amazing collection of all things Fairy related. Her basement was full of fantastic pieces of strange barks, seeds, mosses, twigs from her travels all over the world and glitter, lots of glitter, all of which she easily shared. I’m sorry she retired and moved away.

A few years ago, our Maryland group made a Log Cabin as part of a State Day Project. I loved making the twig furniture and the rustic look of the project. I like making scenes that are aged, old, worn, or lived in. It’s a challenging skill I’m working on. Although this question is a bit like asking who my favorite child is, I love them all.

Would like to share some of your favorite Camp Mini Ha Ha memories?

Audrey [Meehan] had been telling me about Camp and urging me to come for a couple of years. I could not quite believe her praise of Camp and the Campers. But she was right, I love it. My favorite memory is of how warm and inviting Campers are. Also, collecting glass, shells and little rocks on the beach, dressing up for the last night, scallops in Digby, incredibly talented Campers always willing to share, Pumpkin, shopping, Maude Lewis, Harbourville, the Live Auction, surprises in the mail boxes, fun and of course chocolate.

No comments:

Post a Comment