Featured post

Bio - Kathy Novak


Name: Kathy Novak

Location:
Racine, Wisconsin, USA on the western shore of Lake Michigan

Working in minis: 35+ years

Camp Mini Ha Ha attendance:
6 years starting in 2013

Blog: ---

Website: www.novakhomes.com




I’m a full-time REALTOR® with RE/MAX Newport Elite Realty here in Racine, and my avocation – or what I consider “balance” in my life – is miniatures. I’m mother of 2 sons, 2 stepdaughters, a daughter-in-law, a son-in-law, grandmother to 2 teenagers in North Carolina, VIP to cats Dino and Marilyn, and grandmother to assorted cats, a dog, and 6 chickens
____________________________________________________

What other types of artistic/craft pursuits do you follow? 

Many, many years ago, before kids & miniatures, my addictions were needlepoint and counted cross stitch, so now I have a huge box of canvas, linen, floss, and wood thread to try mini-needlework on. But what I’ve found fascinating and especially useful is discovering “cross-overs” opportunities from other pursuits, everything from model railroading and beading to felting and … who knows?

How and when did you first become interested in the art of miniatures? 

'Way back in the mid-50s, I begged my parents to buy me a HUGE 3-story wooden dollhouse someone was selling for “only” $20 (today’s equivalent of $191.34). I never forgave them. Fast forward to 1986, when I tacked a 3” square ad for a Kenosha dollhouse store called Miniature Village on our kitchen bulletin board and told my husband I wanted a dollhouse. “What for?” he said. “You have 2 boys.” Two months after we split up, I bought my Real Good farmhouse from Miniature Village. That clinched it and began my obsession.

What most inspires your artistic endeavours? 

My experiences, friends, family, favorites, dreams all inspire me. Re-creations of family cookbooks, décor, plants, favorite aunt’s cookie jar, and even a doorstop are in 2019 Camp’s Kitchen Cupboard.

What are your favourite things to make in miniature?

I’ve started to landscape all my projects as well as lighting them with LEDs. I enjoy everything start to finish but am still scared of my Proxxon table saw, don’t do well with upholstering, and avoid any scale smaller than 1:24th. Gigantic construction projects are daunting.

What real-life piece, scene or building would you most love to try in miniature? 

About 20 years ago, I bought a massive 3-story Chandler dollhouse kit (I can’t recall the company, but it’s now out of business). I purchased all the bricking, windows, trim, everything, as well as started to collect furniture, fireplaces, accessories. The backstory was that it was home to an aging silent-screen star. The shell is completed, then Life got in the way, and there it sits downstairs, anxious to be finished so I can light and furnish it.

.
Do you have a favourite miniature project from Camp Mini Ha Ha? A favourite project that was not part of Camp? 

My favorite is my first one, in 2013, the Streetscape. It took me many many months to complete. Non-camp favorites are the little girl’s playhouse (actually, what I would have wanted my dad to build for me), my Aunt Harriet’s Millinery & More bookbox, and my bar roombox.

Would you like to share some of your favourite Camp Mini Ha Ha memories?

My best memory is of arriving at Camp the first time, back in 2013. Linda Schubring and I had been corresponding back and forth with Shelley, Kelly, Iris, Debbie, and Liz with tons of questions. They were so helpful and kind and anxious for us to come – and when we pulled up in front of Desmond Piers Hall, we were warmly greeted and treated like forever friends, and still are.

No comments:

Post a Comment