Featured post

Bio - Kelly Pinheiro



Name:
Kelly Pinheiro

Location:
Orono, Ontario

Working in Minis:
~31 years

Camp Mini Ha Ha Attendance:
First year in Berwick in 2006, and every year since

Blog:  No - I talk too much already

Website:  No, I'm incognito


I am the Mom of 3 grown children, and currently two four legged mini terrorists also known as cute little wee puppies... I love gardening...But now prefer gardening without the work, so prefer to go strolling through other peoples gardens. I am also a highly trained professional driver. I have scared many people into confessing this as being true.

What other types of artistic/craft pursuits do you follow?

Other artistic things I do.... - I have quilted, bit I much prefer to mini. Life was always too busy with kids and their sports and schooling, and volunteering for several different organizations to really do much more. I am now trying to enjoy my second childhood, and so far it is more fun than the first because I can decide what to eat and when to go to bed.

How and when did you first become interested in the art of miniatures?

I loved miniatures as a child. I always wanted a dollhouse but that was not affordable. My cousin and I would use shoeboxes and glue in pictures of windows and curtains from the Simpson Sears Catalogue and the Eaton’s catalogue. We found some seashells and used those as sinks. (As an aside, one year a bunch of us went for dinner in Digby the evening of camp start, when that first dinner was not included as part of camp. I turned and looked out the window and saw a fellow on the balcony of the next building and recognized him, and then his wife, my cousin appeared on the balcony. This was the same cousin that used to decorate shoe boxes with me...we live no where near Nova Scotia and we had no idea the other was going to be in Nova Scotia). When my daughter was 4 we had moved and I had a new neighbour, Margaret, who belonged to a local miniature club. I joined the club and bought an IBEC dollhouse kit and built the dollhouse on my dining room table over the course of two years, for my daughter. It was well loved and used. The boys then took it over as an army base and M.A.S.H. Unit. All the neighbourhood boys would play with little green army guys. Whenever the dogs got hold of the army guys and mangled them, they were sent to the M.A.S.H. Unit. 

What most inspires your artistic endeavours?

Inspiration - I sometimes needed escape in childhood. Loved any movies or books with big haunted houses or trap doors and secret staircases or rooms. Minis and artwork that make me want to shrink and go hang out in them. Love Harry Potter, so that inspires me. I would love to do the Weasley kitchen at some point.

What are your favourite things to make in miniature?

I love old buildings that are well lived In and aged. Not a modern or brand new look type of style at all. I appreciate the new and modern looks but it’s not what I like to work on. I love Harry Potter and am currently working on a Great Hall project. 

Do you have a favourite miniature project from Camp Mini Ha Ha? A favourite project that was not part of Camp?

My favourite Camp project is the book room box. I like them all, but always wanted a room in books. I have been fortunate enough to also take classes in Chicago with Jill Castoral and Pat Holstrom, and with Whitledge Burgess.

Would you like to share some of your favourite Camp Mini Ha Ha memories?

In 2005 a group of fun-loving folks showed up at the annual Miniature Gathering in Ontario. (Debbie Parrot, Iris Sutherland, Sherry Parker, Janie Morse...possibly a few others as well). They brought a lamp that they were going to make at the 2006 Camp Mini Ha Ha in Berwick, Nova Scotia. They put on skits and introduced themselves and talked about camp. I decided then and there that I would go. I had a friend that was going to go as well but it conflicted with other plans. Even though I would know no one there, I signed up and have never looked back.

I was very appreciative of the warm welcoming and fun loving camp organizers. The first couple of years, they put on skits and provided costumes for those from away and near. In spite of the lack of heat, I would have to confess that the years at Berwick were my favourite camp venue. The camp atmosphere added to the charm of camp.

So - Camp Mini Ha Ha Memories: where to even begin...dressing up for High tea and going to the front gates and waving at the confused locals...some even circled and drove by again. (Probably thought we were out on a day pass) Wearing our sou’westers into Berwick for a walk, and getting offered to go party in the back of a pickup...minis, chocolate, belly laughs and more belly laughs and chocolate and skip bo...Such great memories! I have been to camp every year since.

No comments:

Post a Comment