Featured post

Bio - Sherry Parker



Name:
Sherry Parker

Location: 
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

Working in minis:
25+ years

Camp Mini Ha Ha attendance:
annually since 2001

Blog: ---

Website:  ---


Sherry has attended Camp Mini Ha Ha from 2001 to 2019 so she considers herself a Camp "lifer". 😊 She works full-time for the Province of Nova Scotia which keeps her pretty busy, so she finds it a little difficult to make time for miniatures and creating art.  She feels that's why she loves Camp Mini Ha Ha so much - she gets to spend time with like-minded people.

What other types of artistic/craft pursuits do you follow?

I enjoy some cross-stitch and knitting but, most of all, pencil (graphite) drawing, and working with coloured pencils and pastels.  I have transitioned that love into creating miniature pieces of art as well, which I can spend hours working on.

How and when did you first become interested in the art of miniatures?

I have always been fascinated with tiny things and the details.  As a child I had a metal dollhouse from Sears.  As I got older, I made room boxes for my Barbies and furniture from found items.

Once a co-worker showed me some miniatures and Dollhouse Miniature Magazine she had bought for her mom's birthday.  I was in awe!  I didn't know such things were available here in Halifax.  That's when she told me about the store in Dartmouth and I met the members of the Nova Scotia Miniature Crafters' Group.  I became a member in 1999 and have been creating and hooked on the hobby ever since!

What most inspires your artistic endeavours?

Sometimes things come from an image or a memory of something from childhood.  I like realistic vignettes that appear lived in, aged/worn and weathered to remind us of things and times gone by or forgotten and left behind.  That is the wonderful thing about being creative...the world can be whatever you want it to be!

What are your favourite things to make in miniature?

I really enjoy the challenge of trying to make anything at least once!  I have a love/hate relationship with wood.  I enjoy the aging part of the project or item and trying to make it look as life-like as possible.  However, my passion is with creating miniature art pieces, either black/white, pastels or paintings.

What real-life piece, scene or building would you most like to try in miniature?

Currently, I have not finished very many of the projects I started over the years.  However, there are several from Camp that are high on my to-do list:  the Artist Studio, Fairy House, Fishing Shack.

Do you have a favourite project from Camp Mini Ha Ha?  A favourite project that was not part of Camp?

It is difficult to choose as I love them all, even though many are yet to be started/completed.  I have to say there was one Camp Mini Ha Ha project I didn't think I would like, but the 2010 Castle Project turned out to be one of my favourites.  Learning to use new material/finishing was lots of fun and I managed to get my husband to help me out with the stonework. 😊

The second would have to be my 144th scale Leather Books room box which was all handmade.

Would you like to share some of your favourite Camp Mini Ha Ha memories?

Too many too say... 20+ years worth!  I would love for everyone to try this little hobby called miniatures and join the Camp Mini Ha Ha family to make their own memories!

No comments:

Post a Comment