Featured post

Bio - Marilyn Driscoll

Name:
Marilyn Driscoll

Location:
Oromocto, New Brunswick

Working in minis:
Since 2013

Camp Mini Ha Ha attendance:
annually since 2014

Blog:
http://charminis.blogspot.com

Website: -----




Marilyn is a retired civil servant, originally from Prince Edward Island but has been living in New Brunswick since 1964. She is a married mother of two and grandmother of two. She and her husband, Bruce, are heavily involved in the Irish Canadian Cultural Association of New Brunswick and, with the exception of this year of corona virus, have been travelling to Ireland annually since 2001. Since retiring in 2011 they have rented a house for the month of June each year in lovely Baltimore, West County Cork, Ireland – home of the Clan O’Driscoll.
_________________________________________________________

What other types of artistic/craft pursuits do you follow? 

Over the years I have tried my hand at many different types of crafts, enjoying them all for a time. I knit, crochet, paint (water colours and oils as well as tole painting), quilt, sew, do scrapbooking and needlework (cross titch, embroidery and needlepoint). Since discovering the world of miniatures, I have gotten rid of most of my craft supplies that are not useful for miniatures or for cross stitch – the only two crafts I concentrate on now. As for other “artistic” pursuits, when I turned 60 years old I started taking fiddle lessons. I did two years of lessons and play on my own now. I may never be good enough to play in public, but I really enjoy it! 

How and when did you first become interested in the art of miniatures? 

Although I never had a dollhouse or anything like that when I was little, I was always fascinated by tiny representations of things. I remember I had a set of characters from the Flintstones show – Fred, Wilma, Pebbles, Barney, Betty, Bam Bam and Dino – the tallest of which was probably no more than 2 inches. I would play with them for hours and make little beds, tables and chairs for them. When my children came along, we used to make model cars and airplanes with our son, so I bought a few House of Miniature kits to make with our daughter. I think I enjoyed them more than she did. I continued to pick little things up here and there just because I was so intrigued by them, but never did anything with them until I got a phone call from a stranger in 2013. Louise McSheffrey lived 20 minutes away from me and she was also interested in dollhouse miniatures but had never done much with them. Liz Dieleman [Grandpa’s Dollhouse] had put her in touch with me when they met at the Montreal miniature show. The rest, as they say, is history!

What most inspires your artistic endeavours? 

Architecture! Especially old-world architecture. I love the textures, colours and warmth found in old European streets. In addition, natural scenes – whether garden, woodland or seaside, always get my imagination flowing, as do holiday celebrations and traditions. 

What are your favourite things to make in miniature? 

That’s a difficult question as there are so many things I love to make. However, I don’t think I will ever make an actual “dollhouse”. I am much more drawn to vignettes and room boxes, especially seasonal (Christmas, winter and fall scenes are my favourites) and gardening scenes. On an even smaller scale, I really enjoy making flowers and plant material to add realism to any scene. I do believe every gardening scene has to have at least one dandelion in it just to show that no garden is ever entirely pristine! 

What real-life piece, scene or building would you most love to try in miniature? 

There are so many, I doubt I will live long enough to get them all made! I am currently working on the first of a 5-part series on the North Pole - 3 of which are based on past Christmas window displays at the Toronto Hudson's Bay store. You can follow the progress of these pieces on my blog. 

Every time I set my dining table for lunch, I find myself staring at my heavy fibreboard placemats because the set has two different Parisian street scenes which I would love to replicate. I find old street scenes fascinating and could probably be very happy doing nothing but those for the rest of my mini projects.

Do you have a favourite miniature project from Camp Mini Ha Ha? A favourite project that was not part of Camp?

I haven’t actually completed a lot of them yet but, I guess my favourite Camp project would be my first one – the lamp base from 2014. The theme that year was “Mardi Gras” and, as a newbie, I didn’t realize that you didn’t actually have to use the theme in your project – it was more about the dress up dinner on Sunday evening. So – I followed the theme and made my own interpretation of a loft apartment on a New Orleans street. It was the first miniature project I had ever made (except for a wee scene in a teacup I gave as a gift to an Irish friend the year before). I learned so much while making that project and I love the end result. 

As for a favourite that was not part of Camp, I am torn between two: a little 2-tier Christmas scene I made on a small wall-hanging shelf I bought at the Camp silent auction one year, and a small indoor/outdoor scene I call “Dorothy’s Corner” after the person who wrote the poem “God’s Garden” that contains the famous lines: “The kiss of the sun for pardon, The song of the birds for mirth,– One is nearer God’s heart in a garden Than anywhere else on earth.” I spent many, many hours making a hydrangea tree for the corner of this garden and love how it turned out. 

Would you like to share some of your favourite Camp Mini Ha Ha memories?

My favourite memory is of my first Camp in 2014. Many people might be surprised to learn how much I dislike large group activities – especially away from home. I am such a home-body that, as soon as I sent my registration in I started worrying. I would be driving to Camp as a passenger in another Camper’s vehicle so what if I got there and felt really uncomfortable and wanted to go back home? I would be stuck for at least 5 days. However, from the time I arrived, I felt nothing but welcomed by everyone there. I was so fortunate to have been seated in the workroom between two very talented miniaturists: Linda Schubring and Roberta Emms and I had such a wonderful time with them. They were so funny and helpful and encouraging. I left Camp 2014 wit great memories and could hardly wait for the year to fly by so I could return!

No comments:

Post a Comment