Featured post

Bio - Debbie Parrott


Name:  
Debbie Parrott

Location:
Woodville, Nova Scotia

Working in minis:
20+ years

Camp Mini Ha Ha attendance: 
annually since conception in 2001

Blog: - - -

Website: - - -

One of Camp Mini Ha Ha's founding members, Debbie is a retired physician, wife, mother of four, and grandmother of five.  She loves living, gardening and making minis in the Annapolis Valley of Nova Scotia.   

What other types of artistic/craft pursuits do you follow?

I enjoy all kinds of hand work - sewing, embroidery, quilting, weaving, knitting, wool felting. I have a miniature loom which I use for making miniature rugs.

How and when did you first become interested in the art of miniatures?

I played with dolls until I was 15 and, like many women our age, I had am old metal dollhouse from Sears as a kid.  I also happened to buy a rocking chair, a side table, and a brass vase with a single red rose when I was about to have our first baby.  I even crocheted a miniature doily for it and set the scene on our fireplace mantle.

I discovered hand made miniatures years later during a special outing to Moncton with my antique dolls club in the fall of 1999 and I actually met a medical colleague there.  Right away I joined the Nova Scotia Miniature Crafters group.  I was quite ill through 2000 following cancer treatments. That group and the online miniature community was so kind and generous to send me kits to make.  I was solidly hooked on the hobby!

The idea for CMHH came from my good friend, Cheryl Hartlen, who was joking about going to Guide Camp as a kid and saying there should be a mini camp for like-minded women.  I said "Why not??"  And so we made it happen.

What most inspires your artistic endeavours?

I like realistic vignettes that remind me of my own experience of extended family and reflects my interests in antiques, fashion, history and travel.  There is often a single miniature treasure that seems to dictate a scene.

What are your favourite things to make in miniature?

I really enjoy the challenge of trying to make anything and everything in miniature.  My motto is "try anything once!"  But I enjoy working with wood, painting and textiles the most.  And I enjoy making or re-purposing things out of nothing but ordinary everyday objects.

What real-life piece, scene or building would you most love to try in miniature?

I have, at this stage, done most of the things I wanted to create and the fairy house was, by far, the most fun - and still unfinished!

Do you have a favourite miniature project from Camp Mini Ha Ha?  A favourite project that was not part of Camp?

Too difficult to choose.  I love them all!  I did make a prototype for Camp once that was not chosen as a project but, it utilized the artistic principle of forced perspective.  I still really like that scene as it is so different.

Would you like to share some of your favourite Camp Mini Ha Ha memories?

I would love everyone to try the hobby of miniatures, come enjoy the camaraderie of Camp, and make their own memories!


1 comment:

  1. Debbie, you have the best camp laugh! I remember and voted for your forced perspective project. Would love to see some photos of you still have the project.

    ReplyDelete